Daily Archives: 2015-03-14

Rest of the 2014/2015 Season Cancelled!

Hello Jackrabbit Managers,

Captain Obvious here again.

Besides tomorrow’s session being cancelled, the rest of the 2014-2015 ski season has now also been cancelled.

Yes, that means that the four Sunday sessions, five Fast Rabbits Thursday sessions, and the couple of races, all previously scheduled to run from now until 19 April 2015, will no longer be offered due to lack of snow.

Yes, that means that we won’t be able to run our first ever “SnowKidz Cross-Country Cross 2015” as part of FIS’s “Bring Children to the Snow” program.  Thank you to all of the people who volunteered to help run this event!

And yes, that means that the “Individual and Group Photos” scheduled for 2015-04-12 is also cancelled.  I’ll bet you are like me:  you want your skier pictures to contain some snow (not grass).

We will see if we can move the “Club Wind Up” from 2015-04-26 to some Sunday afternoon in the next few weeks.  Updates will be sent soon.

And, just as a teaser for the next few weeks:  Let’s assume that Mother Nature decides to turn the Cold-Making Machine on again.  And the Snow-Making Machine.  With no Heat-Making Machine in sight.  We may just put ski sessions back on the schedule.

Stay tuned.

“Sunday Session (17.5?)” Sunday, 15 March 2015 Cancelled!

Well Jackrabbit Managers,

I am feeling a wee bit… well actually… fully like “Captain Obvious” here, but tomorrow’s cross-country skiing session — perhaps in better times it may have been called “Sunday Session (17.5)” — for Sunday, 15 March 2015, has been hereby cancelled.

Yes, yes, yes… I know that you may think that the coaches of the Assiniboine Park Jackrabbits nordic ski club are a fairly resourceful lot, possessed of amazing physical powers:  faster than a novice snowshoer; more powerful than the front-half of a shih tzu skijoring team; and able to leap tall practice cones in a single bound.

But we do have our limits.  And Mother Nature is clearly the victor.

With eight of the last nine days having daily maximum temperatures well above 0 degrees Celsius (with a high that hit +13 degrees Celsius today) there is no longer enough snow in Assiniboine Park to ski more than a few metres without ending up on grass.  And with a forecast high of +15 degrees Celsius at what would be have been the start of skiing tomorrow, any remaining snow will likely all be gone.